Do I need a visa?

The reason you are coming to the U.S. determines what kind of visa you will receive. If you are coming to the U.S. to study full-time, then you should obtain an F-1 student visa.

Obtaining an F-1 (student) visa

What is an F-1 visa? An F-1 visa is an immigration document that permits a foreign citizen to come to the USA to study full-time for a temporary period of time.

How long does it take to get a visa?
The time to receive a visa varies by country. We suggest that you make your appointment with your U.S embassy or consulate as soon you receive your Form I-20 in order to begin the process.

How do I get an F-1 visa?
You must first apply to TALK English Schools. Once you are accepted, we will issue an I-20 to you. Upon receipt of Form I-20, you will need to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee online at After you pay this fee, you will then need to visit the U.S. Embassy or consulate in your home country to obtain an F-1 visa. We strongly recommend that you check the latest information at the U.S embassy or consulate in your country at

Obtaining an I-20

What is an I-20?
TALK English Schools will issue an I-20 document to students who intend to attend classes full-time. The I-20 will enable you to apply for a student visa at your local U.S embassy or consulate.

Can I change my start date after receiving my I-20?
You may change your start date before entering the U.S. in extreme circumstances. Please contact TALK English Schools as soon as you can to let us know about the change. At that time, TALK English Schools will mail you a revised I-20 with your new study dates. Once in the USA, you are unable to postpone your start date.

How will I receive my I-20?
Once we have received the documentation and payment required, an I-20 will be issued in 3-4 days. If shipping charges were paid, it will be sent to the international address provided using an international express delivery company.

For how long will my I-20 be valid?

The length of time will be determined by the course you will be taking.

Why is an I-20 important?
The I-20 signifies that the student has been admitted to a U.S. school that is approved by the U.S. government. F-1 students must maintain a valid I-20 by studying full-time at TALK. If at any time the student does not maintain full-time status, he/she must return to their country.

What is the application deadline at TALK English Schools?
There is no application deadline. Classes start every Monday (Tuesday if Monday is a holiday) during the year. TALK English Schools will process your application and issue your I-20 within 3-4 business days. Once you receive your I-20, it may take two to three months for you to receive your F-1 visa.

What documents do I need in order to obtain an I-20?
The following must be submitted in order to process a student visa request (Form I-20):

  • Completed TALK English Schools Application Form.
  • Copy of student’s passport biographic page. If you are traveling with dependents (spouse or children), include copies of each of their passports.
  • Copy of student’s current US visa and port of entry stamp (if any).
  • Evidence of sufficient financial funds: Bank letter or statement dated within the last three months reflecting a minimum of $300 USD per week in average balance. If there are any dependents, $100 USD per person / per week must be added.The letter or statement must clearly state the currency used and the name of the account owner.
  • If financial support documents belong to a sponsor, a sponsor letter is required.
  • $150.00 non-refundable application fee (plus $75 shipping charges if form I-20 needs to be mailed outside the United States) are due at the time of applying.

Need more information? Contact TALK!

If you have any questions or comments about TALK English Schools, please contact us today!

Contact TALK Today!


To determine if you are able to study on a different visa, please view this chart.

F-1 Full-time study required No
F-2 No Yes (less than 18 hours)
B-1/B-2 & already in the U.S No Yes (less than 18 hours)
J-1 No Yes (less than 18 hours)
J-2 Yes Yes (less than 18 hours)
L-1 With permission of employer With permission of employer
L-2 Yes Yes
H-1B With permission of employer With permission of employer
H-4 Yes Yes
O Yes Yes
U.S Permanent Resident Yes Yes
U.S Citizen Yes Yes
Visa Waiver Program No Yes (less than 18 hours)

Start typing and press Enter to search