Visa Information

Get the facts about visa types, how to apply, documents you need,

tips, and how your English School can get you started!

F-1 Visa (student visa)

The reason you are traveling to the USA determines which kind of visa you need. You must apply for the correct visa before you travel to the United States. To study full-time in the USA, you will need an F-1 student visa.

TALK English Schools help students prepare the correct documents to apply for a visa.

Obtaining a F-1 visa

What is a F-1 visa?

This visa allows a foreign citizen to study full-time in the USA for a temporary period.

How do I get a F-1 visa?
  • Step #01: Apply to TALK English Schools. We will issue you a form I-20. Use the form I-20 to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee online at
  • Step #02: Visit the US embassy or consulate in your home country to attend the interview for your F-1 visa.

Your visa is issued once the US Consular Section has previewed your application, the US Consular Official has interviewed you and it is determined that you qualify for an F-1 visa. Check the latest information at your US embassy or consulate at

How long does it take to get a F-1 visa?

This will vary by country. Make an appointment at your US embassy or consulate immediately after you receive your form I-20. To check appointment wait times, click here.

What can I expect with the application process and interview?

The US State Department is responsible for the visa application process and issuing the student visa. Your experience with the US State Department and Consular Services will go more smoothly if you can show that you fully intend to return to your home country upon concluding your study period in the USA. The NAFSA website offers excellent advice on how to approach your interview with the US Consulate Authority – click here to check.

Refer to our blog about this stage of the visa Application Process here.

Obtaining an I-20 form

What is an I-20 form?

The I-20 is proof of acceptance to your English language school in the USA. It lists your program start and end dates. With the I-20, you can apply for the F-1 student visa. Only full-time students receive an I-20. You must have a valid I-20, at all times, while studying in the USA.

How long is my I-20 valid?

The length of time is determined by the course in which you enroll.

How will I receive my I-20?

TALK English Schools will send the I-20 to your international address. A shipping fee is usually collected.

Can I change my start date after receiving my I-20?

Yes, you may change your start date before entering the USA. It’s important to tell TALK English Schools so we can update your I-20. After you enter the USA, you cannot postpone the start of classes.

When must I apply to TALK English Schools?

Any time! At TALK English Schools, every Monday is a start date. Your application and I-20 can be processed within 3-4 business days.

What do I need in order to apply & get a I-20?

Completed application form for the TALK English School at which you intend to study.

Copy of student’s passport biographic page. If you are traveling with dependents (spouse or children), include their passport copies.

Copy of student’s current US visa and  port of entry stamp (if any).

Evidence of sufficient financial funds to study in the USA. For TALK English Schools, a minimum of $300 USD per study week must be shown in a bank letter or statement dated within the last 3 months. If there are dependents, $100 USD per person / per week must be added. The letter or statement must clearly state the currency used and the name of the account owner. If financial support documents belong to someone other than the student, a sponsor letter is required.

Already in the USA?

Click the button below to check if your visa allows you to study.

Already in the USA?

If you are already in the USA with a different type of visa, check the chart below to determine if you can study.*

(less than 18 hours per week)
F-1 Full-time study required No
F-2 No Yes
B-1/B-2 & already in the U.S No Yes
J-1 No With permission of A/RO
J-2 Yes Yes
L-1 With permission of employer With permission of employer
L-2 Yes Yes
H-1B With permission of employer With permission of employer
H-4 Yes Yes
O Yes Yes
U.S Permanent Resident Yes Yes
U.S Citizen Yes Yes
Visa Waiver Program No Yes

If you would like to study full time but your current visa does not permit it, you will need to change your visa status. Click here to contact TALK English Schools and learn more here.

*Visa rules and regulations are subject to change without notice. Students should consult with an adviser for the most current information.

Need Help?

If you have any questions or comments about TALK, our English Courses, or for additional information, please click the button below to get in touch with us!

Are you looking for something else?

Take a look at our English course offerings and specialized programs. Discover more about the great cities in which our schools are located.

Visa information

English Courses

Develop your speaking, writing, listening and reading skills from well-trained and experienced teachers. Read more »

Visa information

School Locations

There are seven cities waiting for you for a full immersion in the American culture. Read more »

Visa information

Student Accommodations

Accommodation options for each of our schools. Here is what you need to know. Read more »

Contact us today

Start typing and press Enter to search